Quoting javadayaz <javada...@gmail.com>:

> Can you please point towards an article regarding re creating the partition
> table?

Have a look at this: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

It's the TestDisk site.  I'm unable to provide much more at the moment
as I'm at work using restricted internet access.  There is a guide on
there for recovering deleted NTFS partitions, not exactly what you
need, but it's a start.

IIRC you should find testdisk on the Ubuntu Live CD.

I'd also recommend as suggested elsewhere, go into the Ubuntu-UK IRC
chat room and ask for advice in there, someone might be able to talk
you through recovering your partition using testdisk on there (it's
been a good couple of years since I used it so my memory is very hazy).

Rob