On 02/02/10 12:32, Keith Powell wrote:
<snip />
> I don't want to try dual booting by putting Ubuntu on the same hard
> drive as Windows7, but would rather keep it separate. My thoughts are to
> install it on an external USB hard drive.

Creating separate partitions on a physical HDD and dual booting (Which
is what the Ubuntu installer can do for you) is really no different from
having two separate hard disks as far as the operating systems are
concerned. SO I wouldn't worry about it as long as you have sufficient
space. 15GB is AMPLE for a "heavily loaded" Ubuntu install with still
loads of space for your files etc.

> Would I simply plug the drive in, boot the computer, run the liveCD and
> install it as I would with an internal hard drive? I have read postings
> about installing to a USB memory card, which seems rather complicated,
> needing special programs to do it. So I am wondering if installing to a
> hard drive would be easier. The drive would only be used with this machine.

Installing to a USB stick is quite easy once you have a running install
of Ubuntu. The Menu:

System->Administration->USB Startup Disk Creator

Will do it automatically. But as you note this is actually a copy of the
"LiveCD" although it can also can have a "persistence area" on the stick
to store your data and changes etc.

But yes, plugging in an external USB HDD and enusring you install Ubuntu
to that drive will work fine too. You will probably have to change the
PC's BIOS to enable you to boot from it but it isn't an unusual use-case.

HTH

Al

--
The Open Learning Centre