Simon,

> One of the things that changed in karmic is display detection, which now
> happens through dbus, and there isn't a fixed xorg.conf any more, just a
> stub in /etc/X11. You will probably need to set up the projector as a device
> in xorg.conf.
> There might be some clues as to what it's doing in dmesg or
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log. My guess is that the laptop might be attempting to
> switch its default display to the projector.

Thanks for the response.

Not that I fully understand this, but does this mean that I will need
to set up my laptop for every lecture theatre I go into and if I give
a talk off site find time to sort out the off site projector before I
start the talk/lecture?

I have looked at dmesg and /var/log/Xorg.O.log, but they have no dates
so does this mean they only apply to the most recent boot up?

Graham