On 1 March 2010 14:07, Cornelius Mostert <corneliusmost...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hallo all
>
> I know I have asked this before but only now have all my ducks in a row to
> do this project so please could you tell me what apps I could use to do the
> following:
> I have an audio stream coming in via usb or input jack (line in) and would
> like to:
> 1. Record this and
> 2. Live stream this to the network
>
> Now I know I can use Audacity to record but does it also have a Live stream
> mode "server" and then what clients can I use to play the stream.
>
> Please tell me what Software you use or prefer to use.
>
> PS. I guess this does not matter but I will be using a WiFi connection for
> lan trafic and the stream will not go out to the Internet.

The simplest reliable way is probably through Shoutcast or Icecast, which
are fairly straightforward although they can need a little bit of planning
to deliver streams, very much depending on your wireless connection and
bandwidth and also on the content that you're delivering. If you stream MP3,
users can use a wide range of common players including iTunes and Winamp, or
even browser based players. You deliver a m3u playlist which includes the
stream and should be handled by some player by default.

The only thing that I would suggest is, if it's possible at all, not to
stream from the wireless connection as that won't handle enough connections.
If your clients are on a wired LAN, put the streaming server there. If the
input file is being made on a wireless laptop (for example), export the file
to a server using an SMB or NFS share. It's even possible using FTP.

Simon
--

My CV: http://sites.google.com/site/simongreenwoodscv/
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/simonfgreenwood