Hello everyone,

I've been trying to use my old Eee PC 701 as a server on my home network for
data on a 1TB external USB hard drive, however for some reason files are
being transferred painfully slow to my desktop via samba. I am considering
giving NFS a go to see if I can achieve faster transfers, but I also
remembered seeing a NAS adapter for USB storage a while back.

Here's an example of which, from MicroDirect
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/home/product/38589/Single-Port-USB-NAS-Adapter

The spec mentions that this product (as do many other NAS-USB adapters)
'only supports XP or Vista'. Does anyone have any experience on using these
sort of things on Ubuntu? Specifically I wanted to know whether I will be
able to use samba to access the share that it creates and how the speed will
compare to using NFS on my old netbook.

I am using Karmic on my desktop and Karmic NBR on the netbook. Any response
would be greatly appreciated, thanks,

Tommy