On 16/03/10 14:44, Nigel Verity wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I've recently discovered scp and sftp as a means of transferring files
> between computers. I have a desktop and a laptop, both running Xubuntu
> 9.10. They are connected to a common router; the desktop via ethernet
> cable and the laptop via wi-fi.
>
> Whilst I know how to use these protocols at a simple level, I'm not
> clear on the background architecture. Do the transfers just take place
> locally through the router or do they go via my ISP?
>
> Apologies if this seems a bit dense. It's something I feel I should know
> already, but don't!

Your original question has been answered but just in case you don't know
the file manager in Ubuntu called Nautilus can also make use of the SSH
protocol (which SCP and SFTP both operate over too) to connect transfer
and browse graphically.

Under the "Places" menu is an option "Connect to server...". If you
select the ssh option in the "Service type" drop down you can enter the
destination Server (or its IP address), an optional port, default
directory and username. You can also create "Bookmarks" to call this
info up the next time you need it. I use a  scheme such as
"ssh2machinename".

Hope this is helpful and apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.

Al

--
The Open Learning Centre
http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com