Jon Spriggs wrote:
> Create a file (one on each end) called ~/.ssh/config as follows
>
> # Remote machine
> Host support
>     HostName central.server.address
>     IdentityFile ~/.ssh/private_key
>     User username
>     RemoteForward 12345 localhost:5900
>
> # Your machine
> Host support
>     HostName central.server.address
>     IdentityFile ~/.ssh/private_key
>     User username
>     LocalForward 5901 localhost:12345
>
> The icon on her machine should perform ssh support. You can ssh
> support as well. You would then VNC to localhost:5901.
>
> This is mostly from memory, although I've checked a couple of my
> config files - and I'm not using remoteforward anywhere, so the syntax
> may be *slightly* wrong. If it's not right, swap the port numbers.
> Also, if it's a shared box, don't use port 12345, as someone else
> might be using it.
>
> Just as a word of warning, I've found some issues when using desktop
> effects with the built-in VNC server, so unless you need them to sell
> the OS, turn them off.

Hi Jon,

Thanks for that, it worked a treat!

I'll have to tweak it slightly to allow for non-standard ports, but
initial tests look good, with compression it's actually quite quick too
(using mobile broadband on my laptop and my mum's laptop on my wireless).

Looks like it'll save me having to pop over when things go wrong (at
least if the machine boots okay and their internet isn't down).

Ta,

Rob