Hello Jon,
Why not just buy a PC with linux preinstalled?  Or better still, keep the
existing hardware and run Ubnutu on it as it should work more efficiently
than what they already have, possibly using xbuntu if the hardware is really
old.

You can of course run Ubuntu live from CD, but its a better experience
(performance wise) if you create a usb drive with Ubuntu Live on it. (I use
unetbootln <http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/> to create the usb sticks, or
you could just use the live cd to install Ubuntu onto the usb stick).

*Examples of pre-installed PC's*:
http://www.thelinuxshop.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=30
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/desktops/0,39029426,49296161,00.htm
http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/Laptops/laptop-inspiron-10/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-inspiron-10&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&~oid=uk~en~20211~laptop-inspiron-10_n00b1001~~

Otherwise, the Eee PC's all seem to run Ubuntu just fine as do many of the
netbooks.  If the charity is just using Office and Internet applications,
then you dont need anything vastly powerful, so a netbook could be more that
adequate.  I do development on my Eee PC netbook and have no performance
problems.

If you do want to build your own kit, then anything you buy graphics card
wise with an NVidia, ATI or even Intel should work fine these days.  Be wary
of buying a card that is just out though, dont go for the top end (after all
its a charity) and you should be fine.  If you find hardware you want to
buy, a quick google and check in the Ubuntu forums will tell you if people
have issues with it

Thank you
John

On 7 April 2010 08:38, Jon Farmer <viperdud...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have been asked by a charity I work with to recommend some new PC to
> replace some of their older machines. They are keen to give Ubuntu a try
> after hearing me evangelize about it.
>
> I am looking for the install process to go as smooth as possible and the
> one area I am unsure of is the video display card. So can anyone
> recommend a card that will work out of the box. I am looking for 3D
> acceleration.
>
> Any thoughts gratefully accepted.
>
> Regards
>
> Jon
>

> --
> ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com

John Stevenson
jr0cket.com
leanagilemachine.com
Tel: 07909 835 008

Excellent BDD immersion workshop at Skills Matter starts from February 2010
 http://bit.ly/6MwtIW