Long time listener, first time caller

Have acer aspire one netbook with 9.10.

I have until now been using a phone with an app to convert 3G to 802.11g
but the cost per MB through a phone just isn't comparable to the cost
per MB through a dongle.  So I want to switch to a dongle.

(As an aside, why the blinkin flip??  This has actually quite annoyed
me; why a MB delivered through 3G to a phone cost soooooo much more than
a MB delivered through 3G to a dongle).

I would like to use Orange and they say the dongle does not support
Linux.  I suspect the dongle does, and orange are choosing not to
(whereas another of the big five have set up a repository to support
their dongles). From what I have read online, some folk have had some
success with some dongle models.

Anyone using a dongle from orange with an ubuntu netbook?  Which model
dongle did you use?  Or which service provider seems the most Linux
friendly?

Cheers

 Dave Smith