On 16 April 2010 11:23, javadayaz <javada...@gmail.com> wrote:

> i dont think he has another machine. He is using ubuntu one on his
> netbook....
>
> but i will forward this option to him as well.
>
> On 16 April 2010 11:21, Simon Greenwood <sfgreenw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 16 April 2010 11:08, javadayaz <javada...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My brother has just had his hard drive fail. Testdisk is saying "All bad
>>> sectors".  Is there anything that can be done to rescue the data?

If you have a usb memory stick you can always use that to run Ubuntu live on
it and examine the internal hard disk.  This is what I used to do myself
before I used raid, I also  use Knoppix <http://www.knoppix.net/> which did
have some useful tools and guides for managing issues.

If he installed the netbook from a usb stick, then he may still have the
original.  If he installed from CD, you should also be able to run that live
(or download a live cd image)
--
John Stevenson
jr0cket.com