On 4 May 2010 16:09, Dianne Reuby <pramc...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I used grsync to restore my /home after a clean install of 10.04, but
> although it restored the folders, it didn't restore the contents. They
> were backed up OK though, so I copied them over manually.
>
> I've looked at my settings, and they seem OK. I had ignore existing and
> skip newer checked, but my /home was empty anyway so that shouldn't be a
> problem.
>
> Any suggestions on what I did wrong?
>
> TIA
> Dianne

Hello Dianne,
I believe that as soon as you login to the desktop a series of default
folders are created (Documents, Pictures, etc) so if you had ignore existing
there option checked then all files and sub folders in the defaults would
probably be skipped.

Also login into the desktop creates a number of .gnome and .somethingelse
files and folders for user configuration settings of the desktop and
standard apps, so some of those files may not have copied back accross.

I usually have a seperate /home partition and before logining into the new
distributions desktop I login via a virtual terminal and rename my
/home/username folder to something else ( /home/username-old ).  When I
login to the desktop I then have a sparkly clean new /home/username folder,
copying over what I want to keep from the renamed folder.
--
John Stevenson
jr0cket.com