The only way I found to integrate Google Calendar into the top-right
Calendar in Gnome was to use Evolution.

You have to install a Google Calendar plugin to Evolution[1] and sync
you calendar. Then it appears auto-magically in the top right. This
runs in the background all the time (ie you don't have to open
Evolution for it to sync events). I found it easier to edit it through
the browser than through the plugin but both worked.

Ciarán

1. http://code.google.com/soc/2007/gnome/appinfo.html?csaid=752B5B84A5A50C80

Personally I've found a paper diary much more useful, even if I forget
it sometimes. I can always write down events and "sync" them later.