On 26/05/2010 12:31, Rowan Berkeley wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 12:00 +0100, Alan Pope<a...@popey.com>  wrote:
>> On 26 May 2010 10:04, Rowan Berkeley<rowan.berke...@googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I have checked this several times. According to the settings it
>>> should show LTS releases.
>> What version are you currently running? The lsb_release command helps
>> here:- e.g.
>> a...@bishop:~$ lsb_release -a
>> No LSB modules are available.
>> Distributor ID: Ubuntu
>> Release:        10.04
>> Codename:       lucid
>
> ro...@ubuntu:~$ lsb_release -a
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
> Release:      9.04
> Codename:     jaunty
>
> I tried switching to the main server from the UK server but no
> difference. I've burned a copy of 10.04 LTS to a CD-R, though.

As you're on 9.04 which isn't a LTS version, you will need to upgrade
firstly to 9.10 and then 10.04 if you use the automatic update facility.

Within update manager, you should see a notification that a new version
is available, but it'll refer to 9.10 and won't offer 10.04 until the
upgrade to 9.10 is done.

As it says at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes, "To avoid
damaging your running system, upgrading should only be done from one
release to the next release (e.g. Ubuntu 9.04 to Ubuntu 9.10) or from
one LTS release to the next (e.g. Ubuntu 6.06LTS to Ubuntu 8.04LTS). If
you wish to 'skip' a version, you can backup your data and do a fresh
installation, or progressively upgrade to each successive version."

It is possible to miss a version during upgrades, but its normally not
recommended as it can break thinigs.

Hope that helps

Dave