On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Byte Soup <bytes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Neil
>

>> Do you get error messages about missing keys when updating the list of
>> packages on the command line (i.e. using either 'sudo apt-get update'
>> or 'sudo aptitude update')?
>>
> No I dont, this is what it looks like when i use the command line:
>
> cur...@homer:~$ sudo apt-get install p7zip-full
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Suggested packages:
>   p7zip-rar
> The following NEW packages will be installed
>   p7zip-full
> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 10 not upgraded.
> Need to get 1,419kB of archives.
> After this operation, 3,662kB of additional disk space will be used.
> WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
>   p7zip-full
> Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
> Get: 1 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe p7zip-full
> 9.04~dfsg.1-1 [1,419kB]
> Fetched 1,419kB in 4s (291kB/s)
> Selecting previously deselected package p7zip-full.
> (Reading database ... 154608 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking p7zip-full (from .../p7zip-full_9.04~dfsg.1-1_amd64.deb) ...
> Processing triggers for man-db ...
> Setting up p7zip-full (9.04~dfsg.1-1) ...
>
> Thanks - Mark

Sounds all right to me.

In case of minor APT problems, the first things I do are a clean
followed by purging the cache. This means:

apt-get clean
apt-get autoclean

If that doesn't help then I also nuke the APT package cache, which is
in /var/cache/apt/archives .

In your case, it sounds to me, at an educated guess, like you may need
to reinstall the GPG keys for the official repos for some reason. I
don't know how to do that but Googling such phrases may help.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lpro...@gmail.com
MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508