On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Ade Goodyer
<adriangood...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> The classic mistake of web design/development has also happened here and the
> style of the website has been designed first with the content to follow
> later. Having a fair amount of experience in the design and building of
> sites myself this is undoubtedly going to lead to inefficiency during the
> build and due to the high volume of input here and the fluid nature of it, I
> can see the final result delivering a very confused message in terms of
> design and the general mechanics of the site.
>
> I am by no way criticising the ideas so far, they have been great! I am
> merely suggesting that if we first define a clear purpose of what the site
> needs to achieve then they styling will come together later and look a lot
> better. Some measurable objectives are desperately needed too in order to
> convert all the energy from everyone into constructing a fantastic site :o)

Ah, a breath of fresh air...

> Anyone agree?

Without a doubt.

After 22 years in IT, I think I can honestly say that one of the MAJOR
flaws in so-called "web designers"'s portfolios are the inability to
grasp that it is the FUNCTION that matters and the design comes next.

You see it time and time again - sites that "look great", but simply
don't hold together.

Better a site that "looks bad" but "rocks"...

Sean