Hi folks,

I'm trying to setup Shoutcast on a VPS server for a mate of mine as a
favour.  The VPS server is running Ubuntu 8.04 AMD64.

Now I gather from reading up, it is recommended that the shoutcast
daemon is run as a user rather than root (presumably for security purposes).

The thing is, I can't figure out how to do it.  At first I thought of
creating an init script, but presumably it'll run as root?

I also thought about cron, but I guess that would require me to enter a
start time (so if the server goes down say in the middle of the day then
it'll have to wait until the start time in the crontab?)

So I wondered if there was any way of running the shoutcast daemon as
another user basically from when the machine boots?

Rob