On 1 July 2010 09:23, ByteSoup <bytes...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi All,
>
> I removed evolution a while ago using the software center, but I noticed
> today doing an upgrade that its still updating
> "evolution-data-server-common" what is this package and what is it used for?
> Synaptic describes it like this
> *
> The data server, called "Evolution Data Server" is responsible for managing
> calendar and addressbook information.
>
> This package contains the architecture independent files needed
> by the evolution-data-server package.
>
> *Can this be removed? If so why didnt the software center remove it?

It does what it says on the tin - provides address book and calendar
services to the Gnome desktop, which are accessed through Evolution but are
independent of it. It wouldn't be removed by Software Center as that is
mostly used for desktop applications. Someone might be able to give a better
view of where it sits in the Gnome architecture but I would be very careful
about choosing to remove it as it's one of those things that has a lot of
potential dependencies.

s/

--
Save BBC 6 Music http://www.love6music.com