Stand down all you guys attempting to help with my problem.  All is now
solved.  I took the easy way out, after a bit of internet reading.  My
advice to anyone else suffering from not being able to get their internal
wireless card to work under 10.4 LTS is to do as follows:-
1.  Via System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager search for
Network Management Framework and mark the obvious ones for removal
2.  Then apply.  (but see health warning at 3 below first)
3.  Don't worry, it should not lose your connection as such whether that
is via a hardwire interface or a USB Adaptor (can't vouch for the latter
though - I'm guessing).  If you are feeling unlucky, then do step 4 below
before applying.
4.  Still in Synaptic Package Manager search for wicd and mark all you see
for installation.  You should be able to download the packages without
actually installing them if you chickened out at step 2 and 3 above.  If
you went ahead then once all is finished you should be able to go to
Applications > Internet > Wicd Network Manager.  You should see all your
interfaces - wired, inbuilt wifi card and probably any USB or even pcmcia
adapators.  Just configure simply - decide your preference and connect.
Simple.  Shutdown and the re-boot and all is well with the world!  Now why
the heck wicd as the network manager is not part of 10.04 as the standard
as opposed to the offering, I simply do not know.
DaveG