On 6 July 2010 16:55, Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 16:22:42 +0100, Rob Beard <r...@esdelle.co.uk> wrote:

> > > That interests me.  I'm thinking of doing a motherboard upgrade on
> > > my main computer to make video editing a bit faster.  I intend using
> > > Ubuntu.  What apps are you using?  Currently I've played with Kino
> > > and a couple of others, but so far have done no real work.
> > > Recommendations welcome.
> >
> > There is the PiTiVi Video Editor in Ubuntu 10.04.  Not used it much
> > but it looks fairly reasonable, maybe not too advanced but it worked
> > with the videos from my HD video camera which was handy (okay I had to
> > install some GStreamer codecs but once they were installed it seemed
> > to work OK). Rob
>
> Well, I have never been able to get PiTiVi to work, and I have it just
> as it comes, ready installed in Ubuntu 10.04. I should like to be able
> to make simple music videos and put them on YouTube, so that I can then
> paste them into my blog. But every time I drag and drop an MP3 file into
> PiTiVi, it says it is unable to open it. I tried asking about this on
> the PiTiVi forum but I didn't have any replies last time I looked. A
> detailed list of necessary codecs would be welcome, and it would be
> interesting to know whether the Ubuntu team at Canonical are aware of
> any issues with it. Rowan
>

> --
> ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com

I imagine you need the right codecs installed for mp3, as they are not part
of the default ubuntu install (due to distribution restrictions, patents,
yuck..).

You could try install the Gstreamer plugin that supports mp3, one of the
following should do:

gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad