Apologies if this is a duplicate - the original seems to have
disappeared into the ether....

My Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L40 with a 2-core 1.6 MHz Pentium
processor, 2GB RAM (the maximum the machine will take) and an 80 GB SATA
HDD.
My dilemma is this:
The machine has no built-in microphone or webcam. I have a (shudder)
Microsoft Lifecam VX 3500 which has a built-in microphone which we use
mainly for Skype video calls. (Also it appears that although there are
Linux drivers for an HP Officejet J5700 series, the scanning bit of that
doesn't work).
This webcam works in Cheese, but NOT in the latest Skype version for
Linux, and I can't afford (at the moment) to buy a new Linux compatible
Webcam with microphone.

My question is this, which would be the best use of resources on this
machine - to dual boot 10.04 and Windows 7 or to install Windows 7
within a virtual machine on 10.04? (Assuming that a virtual machine
installation of Windows 7 would be able to access the USB port the
webcam is plugged into...)