On 22/07/10 12:24, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
> On 22/07/10 12:22, pmgazz wrote:
>> This is interesting - but last time I tried to work with a school
>> they were stuck with a preferred MS supplier by the LA and there was
>> also a problem with electronic whiteboard drivers for Ubuntu/Linux?
>> Obviously, this doesn't stop them from using FOSS on MS Win but I
>> wonder if anyone knows about driver availability for the whiteboards
>> now?
>>

> Aren't whiteboards just big OCR devices?
no, they are more like a touchscreen. They are a projector and you can
interact with it using a pen. You can make your own for not very much
with a projector, wii remote and IR emitting pen. It behaves like a
mouse or graphics tablet. Fancy ones have multi-colour pens and can do
multi-touch type things (you can actually track 4 IR dots with a
wiimote). The ones used in schools cost many thousands, but really it is
all in the software.

Alan.