(News)" <alansli...@gmail.com> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Renaming The
Home Folder To: ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com Message-ID:
<i2m0ir$t2...@dough.gmane.org> Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed On 27/07/10 07:57, Nigel Verity wrote:

> >  My concern is that renaming the home folder will screw up the
> >  configuration of numerous applications. Is it best just to live with
> >  things as they are or is there a clean method of renaming the home folder?

If you mean renaming /home that is probably not a good idea. There are
lots of scripts and other applications, and configuration details that
expect the current user to have a home directory in /home/username

With work you might be able to find them all but it probably isn't worth
the effort.

How about just using something like Ubuntu One to synchronise the bits
you need syncing? The idea being you don't need to keep copying files
between machines at all as they are always in-sync.

HTH

Al

-- The Open Learning Centre http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com Hi
Nige, I have a similar problem, syncing two laptops to a desktop. I
created two subfolders under 'Documents' on the desktop named 'synapse'
and 'neuron' (the names of my laptops). Then I use unison
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/ (this uses rsync) to keep
everything updated via ssh with passwordless login. I have set it up to
sync the 'Documents' folders on the laptops to each of the subfolders on
the desktop. I have then written a short bash script to automate the
process. You just have to remember to sync before you change any
documents, otherwise your changes get lost. I don't see why you couldn't
sync your home folders in the same way. It works well for me, but I'm
sure there are other ways of doing it. Let me know if you want to know
any more of the details involved. Regards, Tim