I only joined this mailing list yesterday and already I've witnessed a
flame-war!

It's funny, I was reading through the emails one by one, thinking how
annoying it was to to scroll quoted messages for every single email. I
remember thinking: "oh, that's nice", when Neil didn't top-post.
Obviously, my feelings weren't shared! :-)

I personally prefer Sean Miller's style of quoting: only quote what
you're responding to, and only one or two sentences, then include your
reply. It eliminates unnecessary scrolling and and gives context in one
go. If you don't need to quote anything, don't.

It's a software problem, IMO. AFAIK, there's no use-case for quoting the
entire message, as most email clients do by default. Clients should
automatically delete quotes of entire email messages, and allow users to
easily access the whole thread.

I don't think this issue is going away until all email software is
better designed, which might be never. So let's just try and be tolerant
of each other's ignorance/laziness/preference. I think it's worth it.