On 19 August 2010 14:09, Cornelius Mostert
<corneliusmost...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> The company I work for has outgrown their Change Management Solution. They
> have developers in US, Canada, India and maybe soon in China and I was
> wondering what solutions are there for:
>
> a global development market, it needs to be fast and I guess it will be web
> based.

Open source solutions include Subversion and Git. I've used Svn over
HTTP and it's pretty easy. I've never used Git over HTTP, but the
howto I found seems pretty straightforward. I don't know whether you
can use Bazaar over HTTP

Svn: http://www.howtoforge.com/apache_subversion_repository (although
the first part assumes you'll have to compile Subversion and apache...
probably just skip to the second page!)
Git:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/howto/setup-git-server-over-http.txt

If you're able to allow SSH to your server, then you can use SVN, Git,
Bazaar and many many more.

> it would be best if it could track the change/bug detail right down to the
> file version that has been changed ( the current solution keeps Change
> objects and file objects and connect the 2 on a version level so you could
> change OR look at a file version and see what change objects link to it)

In SVN, Git and Bazaar, you can see who is to "blame" (and I believe,
to be "praised") for each line of code. With SVN over HTTP it's pretty
easy to enforce user details, by making write access user limited, and
those user details are passed through into the SVN process. As I said,
I've not used Git over HTTP, so I don't know whether it takes the
author details from the Git process on the local machine, or if it's
from the HTTP authentication.

SVN, Git and Bazaar all have windows explorer shell extensions
(tortoiseSVN, tortoiseGit and tortoiseBzr I think). How well these
work, I'm afraid I can only comment on tortoiseSVN which was nearly so
simple my dad could use it (but that was because he had two machines
and he wasn't committing his changes when he was finishing on each
machine.)

All the best,

--
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs