On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:06:33 +0200
John Davis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have done a clean install of ubuntu 10.4
>
> I have 3 problems
>
> No web cam
> and no DV capture with kino and I am unable to configure a wired
> internet connection,I am only able to use the wireless dongle to
> connect. Unable to use Auto eth0.
>
> I have followed the wiki on installing a camcorder to no avail!
>
> The error message is raw1394 kernel module not loaded or failure to
> read/ write /dev/raw 1394
>
> Can anyone on list explain how to resolve these issues ?
>
> Many thanks
>
> John

Hi John,

Can you tell us what the webcam is - is is most likely a USB webcam, so
the output of "lsusb" (without the quotes) will help.

Can you tell us what the Ethernet device is - again, it is likely to be
a PCI or PCIe device, so the output of "lspci" (without the quotes)
will help.

Lastly... try running "sudo modprobe raw1394" before plugging in the
DVCam - that's the kernel module that it is saying *may* not be loaded.

Grant.