On 27/08/10 07:43, Cornelius Mostert wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Just to let you know I am FED-UP with VMWare - Server!!
> I have been wrestling with it on Ubuntu and other distros for TOOOOO
> long now!!
> The latest is just the final straw!!
> I have redone my PC to have 10.4 on and loaded VMServer on (with all the
> patches!! I found on the internte to get it installed), but then the
> Console could not be used to open VMs and had to use RDC / VNC etc.
> I have followed numerous "fixes" but none seem to work:
> Downgrade Firefox from 3.6.xx to 3.5.xx did not work
> Extracting and installing the remote console separately did not work
> ETC.
> And then with every new version of FF or Linux kernals / headers you
> have to hope and pray all will reconfigure!!!

Um... why do you need to do anything with Firefox?

Last time I looked at VMWare Server on Ubuntu 10.04 (shortly after 10.04
was released) I couldn't get it working, either VMWare Server 1 or
VMWare Server 2.  In the end I replaced Ubuntu with 8.04 and VMWare
Server 1.0 which works great.

I keep meaning to look at it again to see if any fixes have been released.

> Now I am switching to VirtualBox! Hopefully this will provide a
> solution, I am a GUI person so KVM is still a bit too much for me if you
> have to every time make use of a CLI, I guess there are GUIs for it but
> VirtualBox seems to be easy enough to not take too much time of my daily
> routine.

Hmmm... I run VirtualBox on my laptop (running 10.04 32-Bit) although it
seems to me that VMWare offers better performance/stability although
VirtualBox does the job for the odd bit of virtualisation I do on my
machine.

Eventually when I get a machine that supports Intel VT-x or AMD-V I'll
look at KVM.

> The big box still run ESXi though...

I've never been able to get ESXi running, I think it's the hardware I
have which just isn't supported (and I haven't got a NAS).

Rob