On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 18:09:00 +0100
Norman Silverstone <nor...@littletank.org> wrote:

> > As I was at a local archive this morning, I enquired about their scanners.
>
> < snip >
>
> It just goes to show what an interesting subject scanning is.
I could have stayed there all day and picked their brains if they hadn’t been
so busy.  It was interesting to be shown the differences between cheap and
quality scanners though. As they pointed out though, cheap scanners are more
than adequate for most home users  and even a lot of businesses.  Like cameras
it isn’t just the number of pixels that matter, the better the rest of the
hardware is the better the results.

> Unfortunately, many scanners will not work well with Ubuntu and some will not
> work at all.
This occurs even from the same manufacturer, and strangely I’ve seen a couple
that work with one distro but not another.

Good luck in your endeavours with the local historical society.

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net