Hi everyone

Sorry this isn't the right place to ask this... but I've spent the
whole day reading articles about how to setup networks and routing
tables and such like and still failing miserably. I'm hoping there's
something I'm missing that is a beginner's error!

I'm trying to do something that is probably really simple. I have a
server which has two interfaces. eth0 obtains an IP (192.168.1.20) by
DHCP for the internet from a router sitting on 192.168.1.1. The
server, as such, is able to get onto the internet. eth1 connects into
a hub, via which all other workstations will connect. eth1 has a
static IP, 192.168.2.1.

So far I've got the workstations obtaining correct IP addresses (pool
starting 192.168.2.100), so I assume the DHCP server is working
properly, but no more than that. Can't even ping the server at
192.168.2.1 - “Reply from 192.168.2.1: Destination host unreachable”.

My hunch is that it's something to do with the routing tables, or
maybe the DHCP on eth0, but I can't find a proper answer anywhere on
Google. I was hoping to find some sort of sample config, as surely
this is not an uncommon situation, but maybe I'm not searching for the
right terms.

For reference, I'm using Karoshi 7, which is based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64-bit.

I'm hoping someone here can help. I'm a bit of a newbie to Ubuntu
networking. If you want, I would be happy to make a donation to a LUG
or some other FOSS  project in return for your assistance.

Apologies again for being in the wrong place but I've been a lurker
for over a year  and didn't know who else to turn to.

Many thanks

Eddie