On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:04, Andrew Oakley <andrew.oak...@hesa.ac.uk>wrote:

>  I'm looking for a low power NAS box that supports:
>
> * Two SATA hard drives up to 2TB each in RAID1 mirroring
> * Runs Ubuntu Server or can be flashed/reinstalled to run a variant of
> Ubuntu (or failing that, Debian) - in particular, must be able to run
> cron/at jobs, must be able to do overnight large file transfers and torrents
> * Is low power (I already have an miditower Linux server... it uses too
> much power and does too little to warrant 24/7 ATX PSU power consumption)
> * Is silent or near-silent (may be situated in spare bedroom that is
> frequently occupied)
> * Can operate in a dusty environment (may be situated in loft with dust and
> occasional spiders)
> * Ideally has E-SATA and USB2 ports for occasionally connecting external
> drives
> * Ideally budget of £50-£100 (without drives, I already have the 2 drives)
> but up to £150 if outstanding

The Netgear ReadyNAS series runs some derivative of Debian internally and
works well with both Windows, Ubuntu and PS3 boxes in our house. SSH and
root access available for the advanced tinkerer but the default settings
allow more than enough tweaking without voiding warranty.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001O35S7M/