On 11 September 2010 16:39, Daniel Case <danielcas...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have just tried the 10.10 Beta and here are my thoughts.
>
> Is it just me, or does anyone else think Ubuntu is losing its direction
> from its initial philosophy? I have seen it happen all too often with
> company-owned software, first it will be open source, then it will have some
> closed source stuff (which Ubuntu now gives you option to install at the
> install screen - despite it being closed source)
>
> There is also now a paid software section in the Ubuntu Software Center and
> finally...a tiny one, but the one that really annoyed me, the fact that
> ctrl+alt+d no longer takes you the desktop as it does in every other
> distribution and did since Ubuntu was first thought of, it is now
> "WINDOWS+d".
>
> Just my 2p (since its UK ;))
>
> Daniel
>
> Daniel,
I am afraid I dont share your thought that Ubuntu is loosing direction, in
fact I feel that Ubuntu and Canonical have not only kept in line with that
philosophy they have also been responsible for a lot more people getting
interested in open source and widening its appeal.  I am more concerned
about other open source communities and companies that seem to have
something against them.

You mention that you can now install "closed source" software as part of the
install, I have not seen any indication that there is additional software in
the installation that is not already part of the Ubuntu repositories.  Can
you elaborate?

Most of my laptops dont have a windows key and neither do many of the apple
computers running Ubuntu - I hope that your comment was more venting than a
real argument as I could understand that better.  I hope you are not
inferring that everyone running Ubuntu has to buy a windows computer first
:-)

Thank you.
--
John Stevenson