Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 18:48:50 +0100

> From: Nigel Verity <nigelver...@hotmail.com>
> Subject: [ubuntu-uk] OOO Base vs MS Access
> To: <ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com>
>

> Hi Folks
>
> I was interested to read Glen Mehn's comments about OOO Base; effectively,
> brilliant but who uses it?

[... lots of interesting comments removed ...]

Nigel,

I'm interested to read that people are still developing "desktop databases"
at all!

To me, the big move happened a few years ago, when there were suddenly a
bunch of free, good, relational databases, and solid libraries in a variety
of languages to acces (sic) them, and present the results to a browser
client.

I don't want to get bogged down in whether MySQL or Postgresss or <insert
name here> is a better database...

... nor do I want to get into whether PHP, PERL, Ruby (with or without
rails), of for that matter anything else is a good way to connect thereto.

... but in my experience, using ANY of those toolsets gives the benefits of:

1: Multi-user stuff
2: Simplified software distribution (don't have OOo? No problem. You want to
use IceWeasel? That'll do nICEly.)

Now, all of this may shout "big corporate" to you, but actually we do the
same in our three-person consultancy - databases live on servers, not
clients. (And, I'm proud to confirm, all our databases now run on Ubuntu
servers, including one we've never upgraded and is still running Breezy as
happily as the day it was installed!)

What are the kind of applications for which you are finding a desktop DB to
be the right solution?

Regards,

Mark