Hi John,

You've clearly had problems with Ubuntu, and your problems haven't yet
been resolved. I can understand the frustration you're feeling.

On 13 October 2010 16:19, John Matthews <jake...@sky.com> wrote:
> Yeh, but there you go, for you, its never a problem, so it shouldnt be a
> problem for anybody else.

I never said that. I merely have issues with the assertion people are
making that Ubuntu is fundamentally broken for new users.

I've explained why I think this whole argument is flawed already.
"Normal" people don't install operating systems, they get techies to
do that for them.

I'd recommend watching Mark Shuttleworths keynote speech from the last
Ubuntu Developer Summit because it explains quite well who our current
market is, and how hard it is for us to leap the chasm to get adopted
by "normals".

http://popey.blip.tv/file/3601671/

> And as for getting help from Ubuntu, that isnt
> easy either, if it was, I still wouldnt have problems with my network
> shares and videos problems.

Feel free to start a new thread at any one of these wonderful support
locations:-

http://ubuntuforums.org/
http://askubuntu.com/
http://webchat.freenode.net?channels=ubuntu&uio=d4

> I would be able to use my numbers at the
> side of the keyboard after asking for help. And I wouldnt be
> continuously reminded that you volunteer for help, and I shouldnt expect
> it.

I don't think anyone quite says that. What they might say is "don't
call me in the middle of the night or send me personal emails" because
"my time is limited" or "I have a family and don't want to be an
Ubuntu support person 100% of the time". Maybe they also say "if you
provide answers to my questions I can help you better", and often I
see "if you're rude I might choose not to help you".

However if you want guaranteed support there's always:-

http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=31

Al.