On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 12:51 +0000, Glen Mehn wrote:
> Please please please file against update-manager.
>
> Rob: you can try this:
> Boot from usb stick or live cd
> Mount your filesystems in their correct places, so that your old / is at
> /mounts/oldroot
> Open a terminal
> Type 'chroot /mounts/oldroot'
> Run 'dpkg --configure -a'
> Run 'grub-install' (shouldn't be necessary, but can't hurt)
>
> Exit the chroot
> Unmount
> Reboot without the cd
>
> Best of luck!
> Glen Mehn
> e: glen.m...@oba.co.uk t: @gmehn skype: glenmehn

Glen,

I finally found the time to try and fix this machine but I could not get
this to work when running from a LTS live CD: when running dpkg
virtually every line in the terminal had "permission denied", then the
process gave up with the message "too many errors".

Can you please give me exact, "Linux for Idiots" instructions for every
step of the operation as I am obviously not doing something right.