On 19 October 2010 16:54, Cornelius Mostert <corneliusmost...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is

> 1. You have permission to work as Admin on a Lan

and

> 5. You need to brows to the routers config web page to make some changes

not mutually exclusive? I.e. you're saying you're not allowed to
administer the LAN but you're going to anyway?

> (you assume the default admin and password for the router) BUT you do NOT
> know the IP address
> 6. You know the router is NOT a DHCP server
>
> Now the question is HOW do you find the IP address of the router ???

1. Walk up to it, note the manufacturer name and model and google for
a manual which almost always details the default IP address range.
or
2.If it's a wireless one use kismet to discover the IP
or
3. Go up to a working machine that's already on the network and look
at the IP settings (ipconfig in windows, ifconfig/route in linux)
or
4. If it's wired, plug a cable into the LAN and use wireshark to sniff traffic.
or
5. Guess. It's almost certainly 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or
10.0.0.1. (yes, it could be something different, note I said *almost*
certainly)

All of which probably contravenes rule 1 you set out.

Al.