On 19 October 2010 23:32, Tony Doherty <tony.dohe...@zen.co.uk> wrote:
> I am always keen to update to the latest releases of Ubuntu.
>
> However, can I ask - if I were to stick with a LTS version such as 10.4 long
> term - would this version eventually receive updates to upgrade to the latest
> versions of, say, FireFox and OpenOffice when they become available?

Generally no. The software versions stay as they are when that version
of Ubuntu was released. The only updates are to fix bugs. Sometimes
this means updating to a new bugfix release of given software,
sometimes it means Ubuntu manually applying bugfixes in their
packages.

It's aimed a little more at developers and packagers than end users,
but this page explains a bit behind it:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates

Regards,
Matthew