On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 18:03 +0100, Mark Harrison wrote:
> As far as I'm aware, it poses no more risk than, say, a satellite
> dish.

I *am* a satellite engineer. I've installed and operated antennas from
1.2m to 9.3m in diameter, from Baghdad to London. I've never seen
lighting strikes an antenna in person, and I've only ever seen a handful
of documented cases. I've seen more of them destroyed by bombs than by
lightning.

We typically earth antennas, but only the most expensive installations
pay for full lighting protection (which is far more complicated than
mere earthing).

Your external CAT-5 is fine.

Tyler

--
"An Englishman, even if he is alone, forms an orderly queue of one."
   -- George Mikes