On 27 October 2010 08:03, Matthew Daubney <m...@daubers.co.uk> wrote:

> Good Morning :)
>
> On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 21:23 +0100, Les Cunningham wrote:
> > <rant>
> <snip>
>

> Unity will be the default for new users, however you will be able go
> back to original gnome as well. It will be either an apt-get away, or an
> option on the login screen, this is still unclear.
>
> Hope that's helpful.
>
> -Matt Daubney

I have found Unity a very enjoyable experience overall.

I quickly got used to and now really like the Unity desktop for my netbooks
- although when I first saw pictures of Gnome3 and Unity it didnt appeal.
Using the beta versions was an interesting experience and was amazed how
quickly improvements were made.  After using Unity for a while now I dont
plan on switching back to the desktop or older Netbook desktop on my
netbooks.

I find Unity fast and responsive on the whole - even on a simple Asus Eee
netbook.  The only thing that is a fraction slow is the drawing of the
application and file & folders.  This does not detract much as I have a
button for nautilus and my favorite apps all in the Unity launcher.

A useful feature would be to have the Zeitgeist powered apps/doc search in
the top horizontal panel, as a quick launcher and file search.

My thanks to everyone involved in the Unity / netbook remix for all their
hard work (especially with a shortened deadline this time).
--
John Stevenson
Lean Agile Consultant / Coach