Open standard epub format works great on Ubuntu: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB

I use FBReader as a client - works fine both on my Ubuntu laptop and my N900, reads epubs, txt and html books. It's a bit basic but perfectly useable.

In addition to Gutenberg, which is publishing some of its catalogue in epub format, find some public domain epub format books here: http://www.epubbooks.com/ - I gather Google is in the process of publishing everything it has that's public domain in epub version but not available yet: http://tinyurl.com/create.php

Otherwise, publishers with existing copyright insist on using DRM - nothing (legally) to be done about that as far as I can tell.

Paula