Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:46:06 -0600
From: "Jones, Victor" <victor.jo...@flightsafety.com>
Subject: [ubuntu-uk] Podcast 20 - easy bug reporting
To: "ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com" <ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com>

Hi Guys and Laura,
I must say I really enjoyed your last episode (20).  The discussion on
putting up with bugs v's reporting them v's changing apps/distros/underwear
was *great*.  I REALLY agree with the principle that bugs should be
reported.  The thing that limits that is the effort it takes to report bugs.
 As was pointed out, people have a life and are trying to get things done.
 If reporting (and following up on) bugs isn't QUICK *and* EASY, most people
just won't do it.

I was really impressed to hear that gwibber allows quick bug reporting from
the help.  That's exactly what I've thought should be done.  I believe that
every app should allow bugs to be reported from that app - just by pressing
F1 and clicking on a "File bug/Request feature" link.  How to get that in?
It seems to me that gnome could 'specify' a standard that all gnome apps
should have that button in the apps help screen that would take the user to
the bug reporting site for the project, with many of the reporting fields
prefilled.  OK, that's going to take some time to happen, even if everyone
agreed tomorrow to do it.  Canonical seems to me to be ideally placed to
actually implement this - right now.  After all, they tweak the base distro
AND have a bug reporting system.  I imagine it wouldn't take too much effort
to add in a button into the help function for each app.  Speaking as a
non-programmer, I'm guessing that there are probably standard calls for the
help window, or that a script could search out the 'F1' calls in an app, and
splice in some extra code.
The 'File bug/feature request' link could take the user to a launchpad page
for that app.  If/when at somepoint the app has its own bug reporting page
then the link could be redirected there.

If modifying each app through a script is not feasible, ubuntu could
intercept the F1 calls and overlay a window with the bug filing link, and
still pull up the apps normal help window - all it would need to know is
which window has the focus when F1 is pressed.  The same bug filing/feature
request idea would be applicable to KDE.
Similarly, when you press F1 from that app again, you'd get a list of the
bugs you've filed e.g. at the bottom of the help, or in a direct link).

I havn't pushed this idea before as, to be frank, I'd no idea where to send
it to.  I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this, and how to push the
idea if you think it has merit.  If it had some support from anyone in
canonical it might gain some traction.

Cheers,
Vic.