Hi Guys

I bought an Acer Aspire One 521 netbook last week and, of course, immediately
got rid of Windows 7 and put Xubuntu 10.10 on instead. Unfortunately I cannot
get the headphone socket to work, no matter what I try. Since the netbook's
main role will be as a media player, this is something of a problem. The socket
worked fine under Windows 7, so I'm satisfied it's not a hardware failure.

In my investigations I discovered that the BIOS is v1.01. The latest version on
the Acer website is 1.10, so I'm sorely tempted to upgrade it, in the hope that
this might deliver a solution. Trouble is, I've no idea how to go about it. Can
anybody describe the process and, just as importantly, advise whether BIOS is a
possible cause of the problem in the first place?

Thanks very much.

Nige