Hello,

There has been a change in the security at the University I work at, and
where as before I could connect to the wireless network by simply typing in
password and username (which I can still do with my Macbook Pro) connecting
with Ubuntu 10.10 is defeating me. The   netbook is finding
and identifying the wireless network OK.

Selecting the network gives  a pop up dialog and filling in the connection
settings (as best I can) simply allows the connection details box to
disappear and then re-appear a few seconds later.

There are instructions available for Nokia S60 phones and Windows (but none
for Linux).

Taking the settings from the windows instructions, I have the following set
up as a network connection

Wireless tab:

SSID:  the network name
Mode: infrastructure
BSSID: blank
MAC address: left blank
MTU: automatic

Wireless security:
Security: WPA & WPA2 Enterprise
Authentication: Protected EAP (PEAP)
Anonymous identity: left blank
CA Certificate: None  (but windows instructions tell you to search for
certficate and authenticate it, The Mac does this automatically)
PEAP version: automatic
inner authentication: MSCHAPv2
username; my username
password: my password

IPv4 settings:
Automatic DHCP

IPv6 settings:
ignore

The instruction for windows says to select WPA2, PEAP, uncheck authenticate
as computer when computer information is available, uncheck fast reconnect,
 configure secure password (EAP-MSCHAPv2) to either domain account or local
account, and to validate server certificate.

I have been telling Ubuntu to ignore the certificate request, which from
what I have read should still work.

I would be very grateful if anyone can suggest what I should be trying to
get connected.

Many thanks,

Graham