On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 19:21 +0000, "Graham Smith" <myotis...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Over the last few days when booting up Maverick, the screen stays blank
> (wallpaper only) for several seconds to over a minute before the panels
> appear.
>
> I assume I have done something (or an update has done something) but can
> anyone suggest a fix for this, I keep on expecting the panels to simply
> not
> appear one of these times.

Debugging this will be a bit of a pain since you don't have the
interface up yet. The easiest way would probably be to SSH into the
machine you're having problems with from another one and watch 'top' (or
'htop' if you prefer a few more bells and whistles) while you login to
see what it is that's running.

If you've got another machine you can SSH from
https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/serverguide/C/openssh-server.html gives
instructions to set up an SSH server.

If you don't have another machine handy you might be able to figure out
what's going on using a tty on the same machine: once you get the login
screen up switch to a tty (ctrl-alt-F1 for the first one) and login
there, start top, switch back to the graphical login (ctrl-alt-F7) login
and then in the gap waiting for the panels to appear switch back to the
tty where top is running and see what the computer is doing.

Hopefully finding out what's taking the time will give enough of a clue
to figure out why it's taking so much longer than it should.

Robert
Robert McWilliam     r...@allmail.net    www.ormiret.com

The opinions expressed herin are not necessarily those of my
employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.