On 21/12/10 10:41, Graham Smith wrote:
> My notes from 2008! say to  mount my NAS by runnng this command
>
> sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.10/Public /media/public -o
> user=QNAP/username%password
>

> BUT I am getting an error that media/public does not exist.
>
> I assumed that this would create media/public, do I need to create this
> in advance and indeed is this the best place to mount it.

This command will not create the directory /media/public now. You need
to create it first.

> And is that "%" correct

man mount.cifs will give you all the options to mount mount a CIFS share.

> Additionally, my notes suggest that to mount it everytime I boot needs
> the following added to  etc/fstab
>
> //192.168.1.10/Public /home/name/Server1 cifs username=adminz,password=
>
> But I am now not sure what this means

This will attempt to mount the directory "/Public" that is at
192.168.1.10 onto a local director of "/home/name/Server1 using the CIFS
protocol type and with the username and password specified.

My first observation is that CIFS is an implementation of the Windows
broadcast protocol and one normally talks about "shares and servers"
rather than IP addresses.

So for example

sudo mount.cifs //computer-name/share /media/public -o
user=username,pass=mypasswd

Would be the way I would try at first.

Other tools at your disposal might be smbtree to browse your network and
see the names of available servers and shares.

--
The Open Learning Centre
http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com