You've all seen the comings and goings of the likes of Google Wave,
Plaxo, Plurk, Virb, Friendfeed, Friendster, Myspace...

Well there's a new effort out there called Diaspora:
http://join-diaspora.com in alpha right now with very limited numbers
of invites.

Here's my first impression: I think it might do what you wanted Buzz
to do, but it isn't tied to anyone's company. Twitter is great for
short posts and links, and very short chats. I like IRC/Jabber for text
chats over just about anything else, but it isn't easy to do drawn out
discussions spanning over several days.

If you want to give diaspora a try, let me know and maybe others who
have invites will also say hi in here as well.

Diaspora might be pretty cool, but it won't be of any interest without
a lot of like-minded people on it. Please consider joining us if

- you enjoy testing all types of things with a bunch of people (that's
why you're on this list, isn't it?)
- you are willing to log in once a day for a while to try to help us
get momentum
- you are willing to try to get others in via your (currently) 5 invites.

When you first get in to diaspora, you have two Aspects. These are
simple groups of people, "work" and "family". I created one I call
Geeks where most of you would be. If you like diaspora, you can try and
drag your family in from Facebook.

Personally, I like diaspora as a discussion platform, but it isn't
rich like FB. Because it's simple though, you can post to your groups
and discuss with them. The down side is that it's yet another site to
log in on.

I have a few invites left if anyone wants thinks they want be willing to
give it a try and I was hoping that other people with invites might also
be willing to donate a few to interested parties.

Cheers,

Tim