On 4 January 2011 09:45, James Tait <james.t...@wyrddreams.org> wrote:

> On 03/01/11 17:26, Paul Tansom wrote:
>> I added myself to the waiting list a while back though, so I'll
>> probably get one eventually.
>
> If you haven't already had an invitation, I can send you one. Best reply
> off-list though. ;)
>
>> I looked at the requirements for running a server, but decided I
>> didn't really want to start messing with Ruby as there's nothing else
>> on my server that uses it. If it had been Perl (or PHP?!) I might
>> have taken a closer look.
>
> My sentiments exactly. This is kind of what drew me to OneSocialWeb,
> actually - since it's based on XMPP and I already run ejabberd, I
> thought the barrier to running my own server would be much lower.
> Unfortunately, OSW only has an implementation based on the Java-powered
> OpenFire XMPP server, and I don't currently use Java for anything else
> on my server either (pretty shocking, considering I've been primarily
> employed as a Java developer for most of the last 10 years!).

Likewise. As much as I begged the OSW developers they wouldn't fix
this, which is why I was never able to run it on my server. Having an
open protocol needlessly tied to a single implementation is not the
way to conquer the world. Unfortunately the way it was designed would
require significant code in every XMPP server.

> I've seen some comments about Diaspora-X, which seems to be Diaspora
> hacked to use XMPP as a transport. Does anyone here know any more about it?

Yeah, it looks promising - I'm currently working to make a
cross-XMPP-server backend for it. Not quite ready yet though :)

Regards,
Matthew