On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 20:27 +0000, John Stevenson wrote:

> Have you tried logging in to the Ubuntu classic desktop, from the
> login screen?  This may give an idea if this is a unity problem or a
> wider gnome problem.

I have now.  When I log in to classic desktop, everything's fine.  When
I log in to Ubuntu (Unity) desktop, it's broken, but not quite in the
same way as when I set it up automatically to start with Unity.  Gnome
menus on top left panel don't appear until my mouse cursor is on the top
panel, and then they don't work.  The menus and icons to the right show,
but don't work.  Only way out is with 'shutdown now' in the terminal
which I have as a desktop item.  It has to be a Unity problem.

Just wondering: this is very unlikely, but could it be possible that
this bug only shows up on a new install that hasn't gone through all the
updates as they happened?  During the first update, I do get a dialogue
box saying it can't do a full upgrade, do I want to do a partial
upgrade, and later it reports that libc6 and libc6-dev are broken, but
re-installing both of these doesn't seem to be a problem, and they are
used by most apps anyhow.  Is it worth making that suggestion on the bug
report?

Regards,                Barry Drake.
--
What do you see when you use your Computer? Same old thing?
...There IS a Better Way!  Ubuntu!