On 17 January 2011 10:45, Sean Miller <s...@seanmiller.net> wrote:
> So why don't Linux Emporium, then, simply go to PC World, negotiate a deal
> for multiple PCs (50 £299 machines I am sure they'd give them for £200 or
> thereabouts, maybe £250 at a pinch) and then merely install Ubuntu and put
> the price back up to £299 again?
>
> £50/machine profit, can't be bad.

I'm pretty sure that's the kind of gig that EfficientPC did in the UK
before they went out of business. I believe (unconfirmed) that they
bought 'bare' computers from ebuyer, slapped on an OEM install of
Ubuntu with some extra gubbins like flash/java and shipped it out the
door in the same box. We got one to evaluate and give away on the
podcast last year, and it still had the ebuyer shipping labels intact.

Al.