I've had great luck in general with IBM (I guess now Lenovo) thinkpads. They're a bit spendier but. Also have a 3 button mouse. Pretty much everything "just works", though I have looked typically to make sure I'm getting the "right" wifi card, etc.

thinkwiki has loads of useful info for anything that doesn't work, but aside from the middle-button-scrolling thing, I've not had to do anything since about 8.04.

There have been times when linux has been available, though I think a hidden option. You can often find them online without OS (i.e., if it's an off-lease model or somesuch).

-g