Ok it was on it's side, but I put it vertical and I have the same
problem.
My model is WGR614v6 and the firmware is up to date.
I only need one torrent (trisquelgnulinux.iso) for it to drop
connection: my wife downloaded some tv series the other day with no
problem (via wifi). I recall using the other ubuntu desktop to download
more distros with no problems either. So I guess the router can be
discarded as the cause of the problem?

I'm not really a heavy wifi user: internet radio+ w7 laptop+ ubuntu
netbook. I notice that the disconnection occurs when I am in the range
of 0.5 MB/s. I have the basic 10Mb package.

Thanks for the channel shaping info: so this means that my wireless is
forcing it's way to get the most band and then the router disconnects
everybody to stop 1 guy hoarding the whole network?

I had read about traffic polution.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi#Channel_pollution
but that doesn't seem the answer. My wife's wifi seems to do fine.

###########
thanks for that!
$iwconfig
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"Kamehouse"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point:
00:14:6C:7C:48:3C
          Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=53/70  Signal level=-57 dBm

but when trying to change the rate to auto or 0.5Mb/s it says;
$ iwconfig wlan rate 0.5M
Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
    SET failed on device wlan ; Operation not permitted.

Does the above mean that I have a 1Mb/s limit? and I cannot change it?
sorry, did a quick search could get nothing.
funny enough I did
$ iwconfig wlan0
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"Kamehouse"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point:
00:14:6C:7C:48:3C
          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=65/70  Signal level=-45 dBm

and now said 54Mb/s! but did the comand again and it went back down to
1Mb/s

does this mean that multiple bit rates is not supported?

have I missed anyone?

##########################
I've a Netgear DG834gt Router with custom firmware,

It does the same! With me It's a problem with the way the router handles
ports,
It only happens when i'm downloading many torrents, causes the routers
wireless not respond.

My router stands vertically with a 4inch gap all around it in a room
with no
central heating on (it's around 16c in the room) so don't think it's not
an
over heating problem.

It sounds more like a problem with the drivers of the wireless, Can't
remember where I read it but there's something about the number of ports
the
router can open and the speed the connections are recycled causes the
drivers to effectively "crash" if it happens too quickly.

As I said, it only happens with me If I'm downloading multiple torrents
and
they all try to open more than 256 ports each..

--
Regards

Bill Cumming

--