On 20/01/11 13:57, John Stevenson wrote:
I agree with the comment from Dan, ditch your spreadsheet asap and get
something specific, before the spreadsheet becomes a noose around your neck.

Unless it's a very simple requirement then why not just use OOo Base and MySQL? You can run that on Windows or Ubuntu or MACs.

You could look for a helpdesk / ticket/issue management tool that lets
you record your inventory, that way you can also record issues occurring
on specific hardware.  A nice (commercial) example of this is called
Service-now.com <http://Service-now.com>.  I am sure there are issue
management tools for Linux that do the same thing, I can think of
http://otrs.org <http://otrs.org/>, although I have not used this in a
while so dont remember all the features but it looked good at the time.

There are many professional and full featured systems. OTRS is a good one, as are Redmine, RT, OSTicket & some others.

Also you could think along the lines of a highly modular ERP system such as OpenERP that has Asset and Project Management capabilities.

Lots of ways...

Al

--
The Open Learning Centre